Tuesday, August 7, 2007

for a raindrop

while i sit cloistered in this glass and concrete trap of earning my living, and hitch the mantle of adulthood, the air conditioner spews some more stale, moist air... and it rains outside. the streets are washed clean and shimmery; and the leaves are a bright green. i can hear the urgent taps of the raindrops on the slide-shut-one way windows, it seems as if they were beckoning me. what are the things i would rather be doing right now?

take a ride down to some reeky chai adda and have hot adrak chai with onion bhajiyas.
curl up in bed with a book and watch the curtains billow with the wind and feel the spray of raindrops on my face.
sit on the swing and let my bare feet feel the wet, fresh grass.
stand in the balcony and watch the world as it scurries by in bright raincoats, windcheaters and shoes.
float yellow paper boats in that muddy puddle.
sip a large mug of filter coffee and stare at nothing in particular.
listen to old songs and lie sprawled on the floor in the drawing room.

adulthood is the most terribly monotonous, tenuous, drab, overrated, constipated thing imaginable. why do we grow up? and which moron invented jobs? and why should some printed paper dictate my life!? and all those rainy day essays that we wrote in school?... lets bunch them up and burn them.

2 comments:

Rifles and Cheese said...

With regards to the last paragraph.:

My short foray into adulthood has lead me to the same conclusions. Although for me, I think my boring job has more to do with my own inability (read laziness/lack of self-belief) to follow my passion/s...

For me, the corporate world is so far removed from what I thought I would end up doing, I still find myself wondering if this sedentary office life is nothing more that one of the circles of hell (wonder what I did that was so bad in my last life?)

Camus said that the reason we create a homogenized, non-distinct, boring way of life is because it allows us to ignore the hopelessness of our own existence.
I think this is a fairly apt metaphor for the corporate world in general. It gives us security, but
requires us to sacrifice a lot of our dreams and desires. In some cases, these are choices that we justify citing practicality, often forgetting the consequences of our decisions and eventually growing to accept them because we are simply too tired to do anything else.

Hopefully, one day we will figure out a way to escape the machine...

Kavita Arvind said...

well put... its pretty much ditto here and i cant even say i have had a short foray... if only we had the courage to throw caution, pragmatism and our fears to the wind and stuck our toes in and for once... just once believed we were good enough to take that leap... gee, i feel worse now.